While any user of the website can edit and add content, the structure of the website is maintained by the IslandVision board. We are always looking for assistance.
We are actively looking for help in the role of a website content manager. If you are interested, please contact us.
Open Development Tasks
The following is a list of 'to do' items for improving the usability of the website.
- High Priority
- Remove the toolbox from the sidebar, although we probably should leave the print and upload functions
- Consider the color scheme for the visited and not visited links
- Consider wider margins with floating text in-between
- Open Questions and Tasks:
- Add capability for user's to sign up without logging in (tree giveaway, earth hour, etc.)
- Does the About IslandVision section take up to much space on the front page?
- Change the About IslandVision link in the footer to be more useful.
- Add a What's Hot section. Maybe above the calendar on the front page?
- Update the Web Content Manager position description and post it.
- Where to store or link User Pages? (This could be under 'who we are').
- Create an integrated picture banner so the image doesn't skew as the browser is resized.
- Update the IslandVision.php file to be consistent with the latest Monobook skin format.
- Create a template for adding events.
- Create a standard format for Project pages.
- Format and Structure
- Why does the calendar only update after an edit to the site?
- Liven up the users page?
- Add a topics links to the sidebar. Maybe this should be part of the sustainability section, but for issues that are pertinent to MI.
- Should we integrate the website with the Google Groops e-mail distribution?
- How might calendar events be linked with outside sources, such as SCALLOPS?
- More efficient use of categories and namespaces.
- Add BoD roles and responsibilities document.
- Encourage Board Members to create their own user pages
- Where should liason and volunteer opportunities be described?
- Add a video of Peter talking about what Open Space means and why its a guiding principle for IslandVision
- Development of a Social Network Service
- How to easily know who is online? Can we implement some type of IRC (chat)?